Topeka Justice, Unity, and Ministry Project
The Topeka Justice, Unity, & Ministry Project (Topeka JUMP) is a congregation-based justice ministry organization that brings together congregations in Topeka/Shawnee County to provide a powerful vehicle for marginalized groups to fight for justice. We develop the leadership of people of faith by engaging them in processes to identify the problems the organization will act on, conducting research, negotiating with public officials to pursue systematic change through local policy and funding changes, and building people power to influence officials to take action.
In USD 501 Topeka Public schools, thousands of students were falling through the cracks because they did not have access to wrap around services to ensure their success in the classroom. JUMP challenged the Superintendent to expand a program called Communities in Schools (CIS). As a result, in 2015 1,000 more students had access to CIS and were more successful in the classroom.
Many incarcerated people struggle with a mental health diagnosis. Employment is critical to recovery when someone is released from jail. In 2016 and 2017, The Shawnee County commission restored $300,000 in budget cuts to mental health services.
In 2017, our public transportation system was inadequate for workforce needs. So, we implored Topeka Metro to make a plan to expand public transit to major employers outside the city limits. This partnership created the SOTO and NETO pilot programs launched in 2018. SOTO and NETO gave 26,360 rides by the end of 2019. We’ve won funding for the programs annually since 2018.
Read more about Topeka JUMP in the news.
- Apostolic Church of Jesus Christ
- Asbury Mt. Olive UMC
- Berryton UMC
- Central Congregational Church
- Countryside UMC
- El Shaddai Ministries Community Church
- Fellowship Bible Church
- First Baptist Church
- First Congregational Church
- Gethsemane Worship Center
- Grace Episcopal Cathedral
- In God’s House
- Inward Faith Outreach Ministries
- Lowman UMC
- Most Pure Heart of Mary Catholic Church
- Mother Teresa of Calcutta Catholic Church
- New Hope and Love Community Church
- New Hope Community Baptist Church
- New Life Baptist Church
- New Mount Zion Missionary Baptist
- Southern Hills Mennonite Church
- Susanna Wesley United M
- Tecumseh UMC
- Temple Beth Sholom
- Topeka First UMC
- Trinity Presbyterian Church
- University UMC
- Westminster Presbyterian Church
3033 SW MacVicar St.
Topeka, KS 66611
Lead Organizer: Shanae’ Calhoun