The Johnson County Justice Ministry, a diverse and growing multi-faith coalition of 28 congregations fighting for racial and economic justice, is hiring a Lead Community Organizer / Executive Director.
The Lead Organizer/Executive Director will train people of faith to hold political and economic systems accountable for acting fairly. This includes coaching clergy and lay leaders to uncover community problems, research solutions, and organize direct actions to call for change. The organizer will also train grassroots leaders on raising funds from within the organization to maintain independence from outside interests. Finally, the organizer will recruit new congregations into the organization.
The Johnson County Justice Ministry is part of the DART network, one of the largest faith-based community organizing networks in the country.
The Johnson County Justice Ministry is an equal opportunity employer.
- train grassroots faith leaders in building strong justice ministry teams within their congregations
- help leaders conduct research and develop action plans for winnable issue campaigns
- recruit new leaders and congregations into the organization
- organize annual 6-8 week fundraising drive
- train and supervise Associate Organizer staff
- conduct an average of 8 one-to-one meetings with clergy and lay leaders per week
- sincere passion for justice
- strong work ethic
- proven capacity to build relationships of trust
- comfort working with religious congregations
- willingness to be held accountable and hold others accountable
- flexibility to meet with leaders on weekends and in the evening
Preference given to candidates with formal community organizing training or professional organizing experience in a congregational, community, or advocacy setting. Fluency in Spanish a plus.
Salary and benefits
Starting salary is $47,000-55,000 depending on experience. Benefits include: paid vacation and holidays, healthcare coverage, retirement, parental leave, and reimbursements for work-related travel.
Email your resume and cover letter to hannah [at] thedartcenter [dot] org with the subject “Johnson County LO Application.”